Get your content rated

In BC, all motion pictures must be classified (rated) before being shown in theatres, and all Adult and Restricted DVDs must be submitted for review and decaled before being sold or rented by retailers.

A motion picture may include, but is not limited to:

  • a movie or “feature”
  • a documentary
  • a short film
  • a featurette or “sneak preview”
  • an encore exhibition of a simultaneous broadcast
  • an advertising trailer

If you are already a licensed distributor, access our online submission forms directly.

Read the Motion Picture Act.
Read the Motion Picture Act Regulations.

How to get a rating

What if I’m distributing in other provinces too?

Through administrative agreements we provide some classification services for Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

We issue classification certificates for movies screening in Saskatchewan and Manitoba theatres. When you submit your movie to us, you are automatically requesting classification in BC. In addition, you can ask for classification in Saskatchewan and/or Manitoba. If you request certification for other provinces, we will apply their respective fees in addition to our own:

  • $440.00 for Saskatchewan
  • $2.00 per minute (minimum $220.00) for Manitoba

We also issue decals for Adult or Restricted DVDs distributed to Saskatchewan retailers. Decal fees are the same for both provinces.

We don’t classify trailers for Saskatchewan or movies that are being screened in that province only. Visit the Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority to learn more about their requirements and processes.

If you are distributing trailers to Manitoba theatres, you must submit the trailers to us for classification. Manitoba theatres will use our classifications when screening the trailers.

Learn about our administrative agreements with other provinces.